Re: pulseaudio

Yes, but what pulseaudio does is mix sound streams.  So theoretically I could have two applications speaking at the same time.  Although alsa's dmix is meant to do this as well.  In practice it has never worked for me, it does with some applications and not others even though they are all using alsa.

Regards

Bart