Re: ASUS EEEPC emacspeak is working

this would be very interesting. It would be good if emacspeak works and can
be used as the 'affordable' assistive technology on the 'affordable' laptop
for developing nations! Given that many developing economies still have
poor medical facilities and large numbers of people suffering blindness from
causes that are easily treated in more affluent nations, such as cateracts,
this could be very valuable.

Tim
Jason White writes:
 > On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 12:07:32AM -0400, Greg Priest-Dorman wrote:
 > > Anyway, it's been a long day and I need to crash, but I wanted to let
 > > the list know that it does work (so far).
 >
 > This reminds me that I need to try Emacspeak on the OLPC XO laptop that I was
 > given at Linux.conf.au.
 >
 > It should be fine once all the needed components have been installed. I
 > haven't had time to work on it in depth due to many other commitments, but
 > once I set up an appropriate development environment for building x86 binaries
 > (my other machines are all x86_64), it should be relatively straightforward.
 > The version of eSpeak provided with the XO doesn't speak from the command line
 > because OSS emulation isn't configured by default, and it isn't a recent
 > version of eSpeak compiled with portaudio 19 to support Alsa. Obviously, this
 > can be fixed easily enough.

tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx

There are two types of people in IT - those who do not manage what they
understand and those who do not understand what they manage.