Re: Emacspeak on Ubuntu 8.10: best way to go about it?

I am going to try to install Debian.  The emacspeak documentation on
the web is missing - the FAQ says "file not found" and the Wiki dates
from about 2001 - that's lightyears old in computer time.

Hopefully it will be easier - I've gotten the SAY command to work with
IBM TTS Voxin, but still emacspeak says that the speech process is not
running.

I know I'm not the brightest star in the galaxy, but with the lack of
FAQ on the emacspeak site, and a similar lack of one over at the voxin
site - the readme files are helpful but there are contradictions there
which haven't been edited out.

Perhaps if someone were to load the emacspeak documentation up to
googledocuments and allow universal access (or email someone to get
access), documentation that was current, wasn't contradictory, and
perhaps was clearer could be produced.  It isn't often that something
that I want takes me six months to install.

As I said, I got the SAY command to work, but there is something
missing that I can't find - does a program have to be started before
emacspeak runs?  I've followed the instructions in the readme file,
and in the make file (although there are some contradictions there
which means I might have done the wrong thing).

So now I am going to try Debian.  But I'm guessing I'll come to the
same place, but perhaps not.  I'm open minded, but loosing faith in my
ability to get this working.

I really wish IBM would release the TTS free again for Linux and that
Oralux would continue on its work on a CD - that CD is much better
than anything I've ever used - the only problem with the Oralux is
that I haven't figured out how to use the IBM TTS - whiich are MUCH
better voices.

Perhaps Giles or one of his friends would upload a Oralux with Voxin
included for paying customers.  That would be awesome!

Best to all,

David Ring
Green Harbor, MA