ispell-mode not speaking

I've isolated and "solved" the problem but the solution is bringing
its own inconveniences.
In my .emacs file I had added the following advice
;; (defadvice switch-to-buffer (after fix-punctuation act)
;;   "fix punctuation "
;;   (dtk-set-punctuations "some"))
to stop too much speaking of punctuation as I jumped around buffers.
Once this advice was removed ispell-mode was happy again but I'm now
having to reset speaking punctuation much more often.
Good enough.
cheers
Peter