Re: error trying to start under X

Hi robert,

Not sure if its relevant, but the options I use to configure for emacs 23
from CVS are

./configure --enable-font-backend --with-dbus --prefix=/usr/local

Not sure why you are excluding x-toolkit and scroll bars. Do you run emacs
under X in a xterm rather than native X?

The other thing I do is modify the startup.el file and add the relevant
debian/ubuntu modifications so that I can use all the debian or ubuntu
packages (though I've not used my ubuntu box for a while - sticking with
debian at the moment.

Your CVS version also seems a little out of date. My version info is

GNU Emacs 23.0.95.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.16.2) of 2009-06-20
on lion

on this box (home system) and an even later version on my work box
(23.1.50)), which I built a couple of days ago.

I also have the emacs-snapshot package installed  as a backup in case the
CVS build fails. To ensure consistency I also tend to do a apt-get
build-dep emacs-snapshot, which ensure all necessary debian/ubuntu packages
are installed for the build i.e. I get the same results as the build from
either a ubuntu PPA or the Debian version maintained by Romain
Francoise. The main reason I build my own is that I get a problem with some
advice I've defined with the emacs-snapshot packages that I don't get with
my CVS build. Romain and I have tried to track this down some time ago, but
he couldn't reproduce the problem while I can on multiple systems (both
Debian and Ubuntu). I suspect its something very subtle with the
Debian/Ubuntu mods to emacs, but as the CVS build works fine, I've not
tried to diagnose the problem for some time now.

Tim

Robert D. Crawford writes:
 > Hello Lukas,
 >
 > "Lukas Loehrer" <listaddr1@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
 >
 > > Your Problem seems to be, that the funktion charset-dimension is
 > > somehow missing. On my system, it is defined in:
 > >
 > > /usr/share/emacs/23.0.91/lisp/international/mule.el.gz
 >
 > Same here:
 >
 > /home/rdc/share/emacs/23.0.94/lisp/international/mule.el.gz
 >
 > > Maybe, you left out some internationalisation options when compiling
 > > emacs.
 >
 > Hmmm, could be.  I have been using the same compile for well over a year
 > now.  Here are the steps I use:
 >
 > 1. make clean
 > 2. ./configure  --prefix=/home/rdc --without-x-toolkit
 >    --without-toolkit-scroll-bars
 > 3. make bootstrap
 > 4. make install
 >
 > I'll try to explore more later.
 >
 > Thanks,
 > rdc
 > --
 > Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@xxxxxxxxxxx

tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx

There are two types of people in IT - those who do not manage what they
understand and those who do not understand what they manage.