Re: ViaVoice outloud on 64bit Ubuntu

That is useful -- interestingly enough, commenting out both
blocks has no effect on my machine.

Also, while changing things, I temporarily commented out the
usleep call in the stop function -- later brought it back.

For the artifacts you're hearing -- last few samples of a
previous utterance, make sure you have the usleep call
uncommented, and try  different values -- starting with 1, till
you find a value that makes the artifact go away