[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Fixing Broken Info Pages was Emacspeak 37 Fails to Build on ArchLinux



I got the PKGBUILD script for emacspeak-svn on Arch Linux to work to
end of job now.  I will post suggested fixes to this script in the AUR
entry for this package.

Basically, the problem I was having was the pull from svn was locked
at an older version (revision) so when I modified the svn commands in
the script to not restrict itself to a particular version, it pulled
the latest and that latest builds without killing any make processes.

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 07:35:18AM -0700, T.V. Raman wrote:
> Good catch:-)
> 
> For the record, the makeinfo warnings from makeinfo version 5.0
> are all  mostly noise -- and none of them are real errors.  I
> suspect makeinfo has gotten too aggressive for its own good, and
> is generating false positives -- at least  a quick spot check on
> its complaints re section ordering turned out to be
> incorrect. The changes I made were more a periodic house-cleaning
> fixing spell-check issues (make spell will show you what it looks for)
> >>>>> "Tim" =3D=3D Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:
>     Tim> I just looked at the commit logs for a fresh checkout
>     Tim> (today) and see there are commits relating to cleanup,
>     Tim> typo fixes and spelling fixes for the emacspeak
>     Tim> documents right up until today. this makes me think
>     Tim> Raman is actively working on stuff in this area right
>     Tim> now, so I would run regular svn updates to ensure your
>     Tim> working on current head and not fixing stuff already
>     Tim> fixed.
>     Tim>=20
>     Tim> Tim
>     Tim>=20
>     Tim>=20
>     Tim>=20
>     Tim> On 29 March 2013 02:43, Steve Holmes
>     Tim> <steve@holmesgrown.com> wrote:
>     Tim>=20
>     >> OK, I can patch against the SVN version. I get these same
>     >> errors with both version 37 and latest SVN or at least SVN
>     >> of a week or so ago. I haven't messed further with this
>     >> since this thread got under way.
>     >>=20
>     >> On 3/27/13, Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> wrote: >
>     >> OK. One thing to do would be ensure you are working on the
>     >> latest SVN > version. This will make it easier for Raman
>     >> to add your patches, but more > importantly, ensure your
>     >> not fixing bugs that ahve already been fixed.
>     >> >
>     >> > Tim
>     >> >
>     >> >
>     >> >
>     >> > On 27 March 2013 16:50, Steve Holmes
>     >> <steve@holmesgrown.com> wrote:
>     >> >
>     >> >> I don't remember their exact text now but it sounded
>     >> like index levels >> being messed up or some
>     >> such. Besides, Make errored out and the only way >> I >>
>     >> was able to get things to move on was to use the '-i '
>     >> option and even >> with >> that, the thing only built one
>     >> .info file and that was the emacspeak >>
>     >> introduction. emacspeak.info did not even get built. This
>     >> all occured >> in that one make step. That's why I'm
>     >> pointing fingers at this part of >> the >>
>     >> process. Something is broken for sure.
>     >> >>
>     >> >> On Mar 26, 2013, at 3:19 PM, "Tim Cross"
>     >> <tcross@une.edu.au> wrote:
>     >> >>
>     >> >> >
>     >> >> > Just curious. If the messages are not marked as an
>     >> error or warning, >> what makes >> > you concerned about
>     >> them and why do you believe they need to be >> > 'fixed'=3F
>     >> >> >
>     >> >> > Just wondering if the problem is really about bad
>     >> texinfo or is it >> something to >> > do with a change in
>     >> how make-install works.
>     >> >> >
>     >> >> > Tim
>     >> >> >
>     >> >> >
>     >> >> >
>     >> >> > Steve Holmes writes: >> >> My first runs over the
>     >> list didn't see the word, "error" but without >> >> the
>     >> '-i' option, Make throws the elivated return code and
>     >> terminates >> >> package building. the first two messages
>     >> don't say Warning or error >> >> so I'm after them first.
>     >> >> >>
>     >> >> >> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 09:11:55AM +1100, Tim Cross
>     >> wrote:
>     >> >> >>>
>     >> >> >>> Raman normally requests patches go to the list.
>     >> >> >>>
>     >> >> >>> Note that I'm not sure how much you need to worry
>     >> about the warnings. >> These are >> >>> just that,
>     >> warnings and should not affect creation/compilation of the
>     >> >> info >> >>> files. I didn't actually see any 'errors'
>     >> in the list, but only ran >> over it >> >>> quickly, so
>     >> must have missed them. The warnings I did see looked >>
>     >> harmless and >> >>> were just alerts regarding possible
>     >> inconsistencies - just like the >> warnings >> >>> in
>     >> compiling emacs - best avoided if possible, but not
>     >> critical.
>     >> >> >>>
>     >> >> >>> Tim
>     >> >> >>>
>     >> >> >>>
>     >> >> >>>
>     >> >> >>> Steve Holmes writes: >> >>>> Well at this point, it
>     >> isn't unique to Arch Linux since I got it to >> >>>>
>     >> build. The rest of the package appears fine. It's just the
>     >> errors >> >>>> in >> >>>> the TexInfo stuff so I will
>     >> begin playing with that till I can get >> >>>> rid >> >>>>
>     >> of the errors and warnings. That should get the package to
>     >> build >> >>>> completely without hacking the Makefile or
>     >> any of that. I'm still >> >>>> green enough with emacspeak
>     >> to see some value in the info pages.
>     >> >> >>>>
>     >> >> >>>> When I get some fixes done, are patches allowed to
>     >> go to the list or >> >>>> is there a different way to
>     >> submit fixes=3F
>     >> >> >>>>
>     >> >> >>>> On 3/20/13, Tim Cross <tcross@une.edu.au> wrote:
>     >> >> >>>>> Steve Holmes writes: >> >>>>>> Still looking for
>     >> how to fix the info target to build correctly >> >>>>>>
>     >> though. I could mess around with the texinfo pages and see
>     >> if I >> >>>>>> can >> >>>>>> correct the errors myself and
>     >> provide a patch or something but I >> know >> >>>>>>
>     >> little about texinfo let alone track down someone else's
>     >> text >> >>>>>> bugs.
>     >> >> >>>>>>
>     >> >> >>>>>
>     >> >> >>>>> Sounds like an excellent learning opportunity for
>     >> you there Steve >> >>>>> :-)
>     >> >> >>>>>
>     >> >> >>>>> Seriously though, from your explination, I
>     >> suspect the problem is >> quite >> >>>>> trivial >> >>>>>
>     >> and won't be difficult to locate. I don't think we have
>     >> many arch >> linux >> >>>>> users, >> >>>>> so your
>     >> contribution to fixing this, in addition to being very >>
>     >> appreciated, >> >>>>> may >> >>>>> be the only fix we
>     >> get. Therefore, I hope and encourage you to give >> it a
>     >> try
>     >> >> >>>>> -
>     >> >> >>>>> at the very least, it will mean you avoid the
>     >> same hack next time >> you have >> >>>>> to >> >>>>>
>     >> update.
>     >> >> >>>>>
>     >> >> >>>>> I personally don't bother doing make install. I
>     >> run emacspeak from >> the >> >>>>> build >> >>>>>
>     >> directory and just add the info files to my info path. To
>     >> be hones, >> it has >> >>>>> been >> >>>>> years since
>     >> I've even looked at the info files for emacspeak.
>     >> >> >>>>>
>     >> >> >>>>> Tim
>     >> >> >>>>>
>     >> >> >>>>>
>     >> >> >>>>>
>     >> >> >>>>> --
>     >> >> >>>>> Tim Cross >> >>>>> IT Security Manager >> >>>>>
>     >> Information Technology >> >>>>> University of New England
>     >> >> >>>>> Phone: +61 2 6773 3210 >> >>>>> Mobile: 0428
>     >> 212217 >> >>>>> E-Mail: tcross@une.edu.au >> >>>>> Web:
>     >> http://www.une.edu.au/itd
>     >> >> >>>>> ---
>     >> >> >>>>> Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint
>     >> attachments. >> >>>>> See
>     >> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
>     >> >> >>>>>
>     >> >> >>>>> Any fool can make things bigger, more complex,
>     >> and more violent. It >> takes a >> >>>>> touch of genius
>     >> (and a lot of courage) to move in the opposite >>
>     >> direction. >> >>>>> =E2=80=94Albert >> Einstein
>     >> >> >>>>>
>     >> >> >>>>>
>     >> >> >>>>>
>     >> >> >>>>>
>     >> >> >>>>>
>     >> >> >>>>>
>     >> >> >>>>>
>     >> >> >>>
>     >> >> >>> --
>     >> >> >>> Tim Cross >> >>> IT Security Manager >> >>>
>     >> Information Technology >> >>> University of New England >>
>     >> >>> Phone: +61 2 6773 3210 >> >>> Mobile: 0428 212217 >>
>     >> >>> E-Mail: tcross@une.edu.au >> >>> Web:
>     >> http://www.une.edu.au/itd
>     >> >> >>> ---
>     >> >> >>> Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint
>     >> attachments. >> >>> See
>     >> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
>     >> >> >>>
>     >> >> >>> Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and
>     >> more violent. It >> takes a >> >>> touch of genius (and a
>     >> lot of courage) to move in the opposite >> direction. >>
>     >> >>> =E2=80=94Albert >> Einstein
>     >> >> >>>
>     >> >> >>>
>     >> >> >>>
>     >> >> >>>
>     >> >> >>>
>     >> >> >>>
>     >> >> >>
>     >> >> >>
>     >> >>
>     >> ----------------------------------------------------------------=
> -------------
>     >> >> >> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change
>     >> your address on the >> >> emacspeak list send mail to
>     >> "emacspeak-request@cs.vassar.edu" with a >> >> subject of
>     >> "unsubscribe" or "help".
>     >> >> >>
>     >> >> >
>     >> >> > --
>     >> >> > Tim Cross >> > IT Security Manager >> > Information
>     >> Technology >> > University of New England >> > Phone: +61
>     >> 2 6773 3210 >> > Mobile: 0428 212217 >> > E-Mail:
>     >> tcross@une.edu.au >> > Web: http://www.une.edu.au/itd
>     >> >> > ---
>     >> >> > Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint
>     >> attachments. >> > See
>     >> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
>     >> >> >
>     >> >> > Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and
>     >> more violent. It >> takes a >> > touch of genius (and a
>     >> lot of courage) to move in the opposite >> > direction. >>
>     >> > =E2=80=94Albert >> Einstein
>     >> >> >
>     >> >> >
>     >> >> >
>     >> >> >
>     >> >> >
>     >> >> >
>     >> >>
>     >> >>
>     >> >>
>     >> ----------------------------------------------------------------=
> -------------
>     >> >> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your
>     >> address on the >> emacspeak list send mail to
>     >> "emacspeak-request@cs.vassar.edu" with a >> subject of
>     >> "unsubscribe" or "help".
>     >> >>
>     >> >>
>     >> >
>     >> >
>     >> > --
>     >> > Tim Cross
>     >> >
>     >>=20
>     Tim>=20
>     Tim>=20
>     Tim>=20
>     Tim> -- Tim Cross
> 
> -- 
> Best Regards,
> --raman
> 
> -- 
> Best Regards,
> --raman
> 
> -- 
> Best Regards,
> --raman
> 
> 
> On 3/29/13, Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I just looked at the commit logs for a fresh checkout (today) and see there
> > are commits relating to cleanup, typo fixes and spelling fixes for the
> > emacspeak documents right up until today. this makes me think Raman is
> > actively working on stuff in this area right now, so I would run regular
> > svn updates to ensure your working on current head and not fixing stuff
> > already fixed.
> >
> > Tim
> >
> >
> >
> > On 29 March 2013 02:43, Steve Holmes <steve@holmesgrown.com> wrote:
> >
> >> OK, I can patch against the SVN version.  I get these same errors with
> >> both version 37 and latest SVN or at least SVN of a week or so ago.  I
> >> haven't messed further with this since this thread got under way.
> >>
> >> On 3/27/13, Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> > OK. One thing to do would be ensure you are working on the latest SVN
> >> > version. This will make it easier for Raman to add your patches, but
> >> > more
> >> > importantly, ensure your not fixing bugs that ahve already been fixed.
> >> >
> >> > Tim
> >> >
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > On 27 March 2013 16:50, Steve Holmes <steve@holmesgrown.com> wrote:
> >> >
> >> >> I don't remember their exact text now but it sounded like index levels
> >> >> being messed up or some such.  Besides, Make errored out and the only
> >> way
> >> >> I
> >> >> was able to get things to move on was to use the '-i ' option and even
> >> >> with
> >> >> that, the thing only built one .info file and that was the emacspeak
> >> >> introduction.  emacspeak.info did not even get built.  This all
> >> >> occured
> >> >> in that one make step.  That's why I'm pointing fingers at this part
> >> >> of
> >> >> the
> >> >> process.  Something is broken for sure.
> >> >>
> >> >> On Mar 26, 2013, at 3:19 PM, "Tim Cross" <tcross@une.edu.au> wrote:
> >> >>
> >> >> >
> >> >> > Just curious. If the messages are not marked as an error or warning,
> >> >> what makes
> >> >> > you concerned about them and why do you believe they need to be
> >> >> > 'fixed'?
> >> >> >
> >> >> > Just wondering if the problem is really about bad texinfo or is it
> >> >> something to
> >> >> > do with a change in how make-install works.
> >> >> >
> >> >> > Tim
> >> >> >
> >> >> >
> >> >> >
> >> >> > Steve Holmes writes:
> >> >> >> My first runs over the list didn't see the word, "error" but
> >> >> >> without
> >> >> >> the '-i' option, Make throws the elivated return code and
> >> >> >> terminates
> >> >> >> package building.  the first two messages don't say Warning or
> >> >> >> error
> >> >> >> so I'm after them first.
> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 09:11:55AM +1100, Tim Cross wrote:
> >> >> >>>
> >> >> >>> Raman normally requests patches go to the list.
> >> >> >>>
> >> >> >>> Note that I'm not sure how much you need to worry about the
> >> warnings.
> >> >> These are
> >> >> >>> just that, warnings and should not affect creation/compilation of
> >> the
> >> >> info
> >> >> >>> files. I didn't actually see any 'errors' in the list, but only
> >> >> >>> ran
> >> >> over it
> >> >> >>> quickly, so must have missed them. The warnings I did see looked
> >> >> harmless and
> >> >> >>> were just alerts regarding possible inconsistencies - just like
> >> >> >>> the
> >> >> warnings
> >> >> >>> in compiling emacs - best avoided if possible, but not critical.
> >> >> >>>
> >> >> >>> Tim
> >> >> >>>
> >> >> >>>
> >> >> >>>
> >> >> >>> Steve Holmes writes:
> >> >> >>>> Well at this point, it isn't unique to Arch Linux since I got it
> >> >> >>>> to
> >> >> >>>> build.  The rest of the package appears fine.  It's just the
> >> >> >>>> errors
> >> >> >>>> in
> >> >> >>>> the TexInfo stuff so I will begin playing with that till I can
> >> >> >>>> get
> >> >> >>>> rid
> >> >> >>>> of the errors and warnings.  That should get the package to build
> >> >> >>>> completely without hacking the Makefile or any of that.  I'm
> >> >> >>>> still
> >> >> >>>> green enough with emacspeak to see some value in the info pages.
> >> >> >>>>
> >> >> >>>> When I get some fixes done, are patches allowed to go to the list
> >> or
> >> >> >>>> is there a different way to submit fixes?
> >> >> >>>>
> >> >> >>>> On 3/20/13, Tim Cross <tcross@une.edu.au> wrote:
> >> >> >>>>> Steve Holmes writes:
> >> >> >>>>>> Still looking for how to fix the info target to build correctly
> >> >> >>>>>> though.  I could mess around with the texinfo pages and see if
> >> >> >>>>>> I
> >> >> >>>>>> can
> >> >> >>>>>> correct the errors myself and provide a patch or something but
> >> >> >>>>>> I
> >> >> know
> >> >> >>>>>> little about texinfo let alone track down someone else's text
> >> >> >>>>>> bugs.
> >> >> >>>>>>
> >> >> >>>>>
> >> >> >>>>> Sounds like an excellent learning opportunity for you there
> >> >> >>>>> Steve
> >> >> >>>>> :-)
> >> >> >>>>>
> >> >> >>>>> Seriously though, from your explination, I suspect the problem
> >> >> >>>>> is
> >> >> quite
> >> >> >>>>> trivial
> >> >> >>>>> and won't be difficult to locate. I don't think we have many
> >> >> >>>>> arch
> >> >> linux
> >> >> >>>>> users,
> >> >> >>>>> so your contribution to fixing this, in addition to being very
> >> >> appreciated,
> >> >> >>>>> may
> >> >> >>>>> be the only fix we get. Therefore, I hope and encourage you to
> >> give
> >> >> it a try
> >> >> >>>>> -
> >> >> >>>>> at the very least, it will mean you avoid the same hack next
> >> >> >>>>> time
> >> >> you have
> >> >> >>>>> to
> >> >> >>>>> update.
> >> >> >>>>>
> >> >> >>>>> I personally don't bother doing make install. I run emacspeak
> >> >> >>>>> from
> >> >> the
> >> >> >>>>> build
> >> >> >>>>> directory and just add the info files to my info path. To be
> >> hones,
> >> >> it has
> >> >> >>>>> been
> >> >> >>>>> years since I've even looked at the info files for emacspeak.
> >> >> >>>>>
> >> >> >>>>> Tim
> >> >> >>>>>
> >> >> >>>>>
> >> >> >>>>>
> >> >> >>>>> --
> >> >> >>>>> Tim Cross
> >> >> >>>>> IT Security Manager
> >> >> >>>>> Information Technology
> >> >> >>>>> University of New England
> >> >> >>>>> Phone: +61 2 6773 3210
> >> >> >>>>> Mobile: 0428 212217
> >> >> >>>>> E-Mail: tcross@une.edu.au
> >> >> >>>>>   Web: http://www.une.edu.au/itd
> >> >> >>>>> ---
> >> >> >>>>> Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
> >> >> >>>>> See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
> >> >> >>>>>
> >> >> >>>>> Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
> >> It
> >> >> takes a
> >> >> >>>>> touch of genius (and a lot of courage) to move in the opposite
> >> >> direction.
> >> >> >>>>>
> >> >> >>>>> âAlbert
> >> >> Einstein
> >> >> >>>>>
> >> >> >>>>>
> >> >> >>>>>
> >> >> >>>>>
> >> >> >>>>>
> >> >> >>>>>
> >> >> >>>>>
> >> >> >>>
> >> >> >>> --
> >> >> >>> Tim Cross
> >> >> >>> IT Security Manager
> >> >> >>> Information Technology
> >> >> >>> University of New England
> >> >> >>> Phone: +61 2 6773 3210
> >> >> >>> Mobile: 0428 212217
> >> >> >>> E-Mail: tcross@une.edu.au
> >> >> >>>   Web: http://www.une.edu.au/itd
> >> >> >>> ---
> >> >> >>> Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
> >> >> >>> See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
> >> >> >>>
> >> >> >>> Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
> >> >> >>> It
> >> >> takes a
> >> >> >>> touch of genius (and a lot of courage) to move in the opposite
> >> >> direction.
> >> >> >>>                                                           âAlbert
> >> >> Einstein
> >> >> >>>
> >> >> >>>
> >> >> >>>
> >> >> >>>
> >> >> >>>
> >> >> >>>
> >> >> >>
> >> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> >> >> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your address on
> >> >> >> the
> >> >> >> emacspeak list send mail to "emacspeak-request@cs.vassar.edu" with
> >> >> >> a
> >> >> >> subject of "unsubscribe" or "help".
> >> >> >>
> >> >> >
> >> >> > --
> >> >> > Tim Cross
> >> >> > IT Security Manager
> >> >> > Information Technology
> >> >> > University of New England
> >> >> > Phone: +61 2 6773 3210
> >> >> > Mobile: 0428 212217
> >> >> > E-Mail: tcross@une.edu.au
> >> >> >   Web: http://www.une.edu.au/itd
> >> >> > ---
> >> >> > Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
> >> >> > See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
> >> >> >
> >> >> > Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It
> >> >> takes a
> >> >> > touch of genius (and a lot of courage) to move in the opposite
> >> >> > direction.
> >> >> >                                                           âAlbert
> >> >> Einstein
> >> >> >
> >> >> >
> >> >> >
> >> >> >
> >> >> >
> >> >> >
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> >> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your address on the
> >> >> emacspeak list send mail to "emacspeak-request@cs.vassar.edu" with a
> >> >> subject of "unsubscribe" or "help".
> >> >>
> >> >>
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > --
> >> > Tim Cross
> >> >
> >>
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Tim Cross
> >

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your address on the
emacspeak list send mail to "emacspeak-request@cs.vassar.edu" with a
subject of "unsubscribe" or "help".



If you have questions about this archive or had problems using it, please send mail to:

priestdo@cs.vassar.edu No Soliciting!

Emacspeak List Archive | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999 | 1998 | Pre 1998

Emacspeak Files | Emacspeak Blog | Search the archive