From: T. V. Raman [mailto:tv.raman.tv@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, August 23, 2013 9:28 AM
To: alex.midence@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: tv.raman.tv@xxxxxxxxxxx; robdcraw@xxxxxxxxxxx; emacspeak@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: hyper key help

"hacks to read pdf" go away when gnome3 supports tagged pdf --
sure:-)

the "hacks" you refer to   so lightly e.g. pdf2txt -- use the
same underlying mechanisms and libraries that gnome3  uses for tagged PDF
-- you wont getting anything more or anything less. Use what works for you
by all means --
    Alex> Honestly, I only run Emacs in the console. I don't run
    Alex> it in X. I've never had much luck making it do what I
    Alex> wanted in X. I have never heard of Stumpwm. Sounds like
    Alex> a plain Jane window manager with nothing else in the
    Alex> way of supporting desktop applications. Nice if you
    Alex> have a minimalist philosophy, I suppose. I like too
    Alex> many of the applications that come with Gnome to give
    Alex> it up. Besides, they are introducing honest-to-God PDF
    Alex> support with this upcoming version and actual tagged
    Alex> pdf support in Gnome 3.12. The day of using hacks to
    Alex> read a PDF in Linux are almost at an end for screen
    Alex> reader users. Don't see how I could ever stop using it
    Alex> now.
    Alex>
    Alex> Alex M
    Alex>
    Alex> -----Original Message----- From: T. V. Raman
    Alex> [mailto:tv.raman.tv@xxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Friday, August 23,
    Alex> 2013 8:43 AM To: robdcraw@xxxxxxxxxxx Cc:
    Alex> emacspeak@xxxxxxxxxxx Subject: hyper key help
    Alex>
    Alex> Sorry to hear about the gnome3 pains -- afraid I cant
    Alex> help much -- I completely eliminated gnome and just run
    Alex> stumpwm as a tiling window manager, with Emacs in one
    Alex> window and Chrome/ChromeVox in the other.
    Robert> Hello all, I am at a loss as to how to proceed and
    Robert> I'm hoping someone can assist.
    Robert>
    Robert> I'm trying to give GNOME 3 a chance on my new
    Robert> install. It makes use of the Super key, so I thought
    Robert> I would assign hyper to be my "emacs" key. I've used
    Robert> this .Xmodmap file:
    Robert>
    Robert> ! No Caps Lock clear lock keycode 66 = Hyper_L !
    Robert> keysym Caps_Lock = Hyper_L clear mod3 add Mod3 =
    Robert> Hyper_L
    Robert>

    Robert> and the result, according to xmodmap is:
    Robert>
    Robert> rdc@xxxxxxxxxxx:~$ xmodmap xmodmap: up to 4 keys per
    Robert> modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):
    Robert>
    Robert> shift Shift_L (0x32), Shift_R (0x3e) lock Hyper_L
    Robert> (0x42) control Control_L (0x25), Control_R (0x69)
    Robert> mod1 Alt_L (0x40), Alt_R (0x6c), Meta_L (0xcd) mod2
    Robert> Num_Lock (0x4d) mod3 mod4 Super_L (0x85), Super_R
    Robert> (0x86), Super_L (0xce), Hyper_L (0xcf) mod5
    Robert> ISO_Level3_Shift (0x5c), Mode_switch (0xcb)
    Robert>
    Robert> rdc@xxxxxxxxxxx:~$
    Robert>
    Robert> but emacs still thinks it is a super key, giving me
    Robert> the response "Cap x is bound to self-insert
    Robert> character." The lock is gone, but nothing else. In
    Robert> addition, why is the mod3 line blank? Any ideas?
    Robert>
    Robert> Concerning GNOME 3, I'm not terribly impressed. I
    Robert> make use of the magnifier and the one baked into
    Robert> gnome shell is shite. The movement is not smooth at
    Robert> all and if I try to change the shortcut it only
    Robert> rarely works. When I don't change the shortcut
    Robert> sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I can't
    Robert> seem to figure out in what instances it doesn't work,
    Robert> so I can't really request help, but I might try. I
    Robert> was a long-time user of compiz and the magnification
    Robert> was infinitely smoother and more configurable. I
    Robert> would have hoped that by the 5th release of gnome
    Robert> shell it would have been at least comparable. Alas,
    Robert> it is not so. My next step, I think, is to install
    Robert> XFCE and compiz.
    Robert>
    Robert> Sorry for the rant, but thanks for listening.

> [...]
    Alex>

    Alex> -- Best Regards, --raman

    Alex>