Re: OS X Server, Or Something Else?

To amend my previous message, for those of you on Mavericks, try removing all references to the speechLock.

Best,
David

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 10:16 AM, David Tseng <davidtseng@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
While implementing the server a while ago, I discovered a ref counting bug in the Mac tts implementation. If I recall correctly, end callbacks were not getting sent properly as a result (i.e. end callbacks of the previous utterance were sent *after* start callbacks of the current utterance). My guess is that 10.9 has corrected the issue.

I've not upgraded to Mavericks since I use my Mac for production work, but I can take a look next weekend on a machine with Mavericks. The fix will likely change/remove the extra acquire/release on the lock controlling access to the speech queue for Mavericks only since the bug obviously still exists pre-Mavericks.

- David

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Haden Pike <haden.pike@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Maybe starting the application that is stored in environment variable DTK_PROGRAM is enough to run the server.
>
> It is.

> This may help in determining the cause of the problem.

I tried that and these results might help diagnose the problem.

I ran ./mac from the Emacspeak servers directory.  After receiving the “Server ready” message, I typed the following:

q this is a test
q of the mac speech server.

Typing d gave me “this is a test”.  Typing d again gave me the second bit of queued text: “of the Mac speech server.

Based on this, it looks like the speech queue is not being processed correctly.  I don’t know the Cocoa technologies well, so am not sure where to start fixing this.
Haden