Re: Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) introduces the rootless security model

Hi,

I understood.
In my opinion, for novice users who does not realize the place they are
writing into, rootless will be useful feature to avoid the system messed
up.
But it may prevent them from using Emacspeak at all.
How about documenting this case at the place the instruction for OS X resides?

Victor Tsaran <vtsaran@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> As always, I'm mostly concerned about novices and not power users. I know we have alternatives. :)
>
> Sent from a device
>

>> On Sep 14, 2015, at 6:46 AM, Koichi INOUE <inoue@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Victor,
>>
>> I'm not on El Capitan yet, but I think it is not so big concern, because
>> you may be allowed to write in /usr/local.
>> /usr/bin/emacs bundled in Current OS X Yosemite is 22.1.1, so I always
>> install newest Emacs with Homebrew into /usr/local.
>>
>> Best regards.
>>
>> Victor Tsaran <vtsaran@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> Hi.
>>> The reason I wanted to write about this to the list is because this
>>> security model changes access priveleges to certain directories even if you
>>> are working with them via sudo. For example, when performing a "sudo make
>>> install" as the last step of Emacspeak installation, the "make" will fail
>>> when trying to create an emacspeak directory under
>>> /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp.
>>> There is a way to turn the feature off, as pointed out here,
>>> http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/196224/unix-ln-s-command-not-permitted-in-osx-el-capitan-beta3,
>>> but I don't think this will be possible in all user contexts.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>> Best,