Emacspeak ignores custom values from the .emacs file

Hi.
I've noticed the below behavior since I started running from the git repository, but didn't want to ask here before looking around. Unfortunately, I did not find any answer, so am posting here...
After making the Emacspeak-relatedcustomizations, which are saved in my .emacs file, every time I start Emacs with Emacspeak, the latter ignores Emacspeak-related values from . emacs and reverts to the default ones. For example, if I set my Mac speech rate to 550, Emacspeak reverts to the default one (225) upon startup.
I know that my .emacs is in good condition because other values are loaded with no problems.

Where else can I look to troubleshoot this?

Thanks,
Victor