Re: OS X

Setting up emacspeak under OSX is actually easier than Linux as you don't need to worry about Tcl or 32 bit libs on 64 bit systems. All you need to do is build emacspeak as normal and then set the DTK_PROGRAM environment variable to mac and make sure the mac script is executable.

The OSX version uses Python to interface with the built-in OSX speech support, so there is no need to install additinal speech servers etc.

For emacs itself, there are a number of different approaches. I prefer to use homebrew and just install emacs using the hombrew recipe. I build with cocoa support so that I can run emacs in GUI mode rather than inside a terminal. Depending on whether you have any sight or your abiity to work with the OSX GUI, I find this works best as it prevents emacs from interfering with VoiceOver, which can be a problem if you run inside a terminal.