Re: emacspeak pitch changes in ubuntu package not working

The Tcl driver for emacspeak has a number of issues. I no longer use this server, preferring instead to pay the very small fee for ViaVoice/Outloud.

From memory, the Tcl driver for espeak has some additional complexity to support multiple languages. It does have some basic support for changing voice/pitch settings, but I think there are some state tracking/transition issues with how it is implemented - just can't quite remember.

What is really needed is for someone to step up and look at the code base to see if it can be improved. I did start working on a new server which uses eSpeak, but not Tcl. The version I was working on uses Clojure (a JVM language), which I think could be good because Clojure has great support for concurrency, will run anywhere that a JVM can run and would possibly mean being able to run emacspeak on more platforms. The downside is the startup time, but this could possibly be made negligible with a bit of effort. I got as far as being ale to get an interface from Java and Clojure to espeak system calls using JNI and had a very basic PoC server, but have not had time to get back to it. Part of what I needed was more Clojure experience before moving forward with the right design.

At the end of the day, if you want a better eSpeak server for emacspeak, you probably need to step up and see what you can do to improve what is there. The server protocol is very simple once you look at it and a lot of what is needed is already in the tts Tcl lib, so all you really need to do is work out how to interface with the espeak API, track state and map the state transitions to what makes best sense given the facilities offered by eSpeak.

Tim