Bug: emacspeak-hide-or-expose-block doesn't work on lines with tabs

Hi,
Today I was testing out this function, but I realized that when I have a comment after a tab character, it tells me that I'm not on a block.
This seems to be happening because in line 156 of emacspeak-hide.el, the `(current-column)' is returning `10'. However, in line 171, `buffer-substring-no-properties' is treating the tab character differently. As I understand it, this seems to be a difference between how `current-colun' treats tab as opposed to `buffer-substring-no-properties'.
I don't have an idea on what this should be replaced with, or if there is even a better function?
Thanks!

|May 1995 - Last Year |Current Year|