Re: [Emacspeak] Sharpwin First (hopefully) Useable Release

Thank you so much, this works!

On 4/11/2024 11:01 AM, Tyler Spivey (via emacspeak Mailing List) wrote:
Here's how I got this to work. Adjust paths as needed.

winget install Microsoft.DotNet.SDK.8
winget install GNU.Emacs
Emacs was placed in C:\Program Files\Emacs\emacs-29.3_2\bin so I had to add that to path.

$env:EMACSPEAK_DIR="c:\users\tyler\emacspeak"
.\make.ps1

After it built, and all the emacspeak files were compiled, I ran sharpwin and made sure I could get it to talk. However, I can't quit it with EOF (ctrl+z), it just says Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

By default, emacs on Windows thinks application data is my home directory, because it looks for HOME which isn't set. I don't want that to be my home directory, so set HOME to c:\users\tyler in environment variables.

Next I created ~/.emacs.d/init.el:
(setenv "DTK_PROGRAM" "sharpwin")
(load-file (expand-file-name "~/emacspeak/lisp/emacspeak-setup.el"))

That's the absolute minimal init.el I needed to get it going.
If you send it a rate out of range, the server just won't talk. This comes into play by default with the scaling factor for character echo. I haven't debugged it. Far better would just be to use the maximum rate it supports.