Re: TCL 7.5 Emacspeak 7.0 and remote speech servers

Hi folks,

Here is a patch for the file "speech-server" in the emacspeak 7.0
distribution.  It creates client and server sockets using
the new api.  This patch works with tcl 8.0, which comes stock
with RH 5.0.  In fact, tcl, tclx, and tk have all had their version
numbers synchronized at 8.0.

Apply the patch by placing the patch file into the same directory
as "speech-server" and typing...

 patch < patchfile

Fair warning - my tcl knowledge is limited, but this works for me.

Regards,

Brian.
-------------Start patch-------------
*** speech-server.old	Thu Feb 19 02:36:14 1998
--- speech-server	Thu Feb 19 03:11:05 1998
***************
*** 41,55 ****

  set port [lindex $argv 0]
  #start up the server
! set server [server_create -myport  $port]
  puts "Started speech server ..."
  # and wait for a connection
  puts "Waiting for a connection on port $port ..."
! set handles [server_accept -twoids $server]
  #Now, connect the read and write handles to stdin and stdout
! dup [lindex $handles 1] stdout
! dup [lindex $handles 1] stderr
! dup [lindex $handles 0] stdin
  #launch speech synthesizer code
  source [lindex $argv 1]
  #All done
--- 41,57 ----

  set port [lindex $argv 0]
  #start up the server
! set server [socket -server  [] $port]
! set sockinfo [fconfigure $server -sockname]
!
  puts "Started speech server ..."
  # and wait for a connection
  puts "Waiting for a connection on port $port ..."
! set client [server_accept -nobuf $server]
  #Now, connect the read and write handles to stdin and stdout
! dup $client stdout
! dup $client stderr
! dup $client stdin
-------------End patch-------------

  >> Please note that the server creation and socket APIs changed
  >> between tcl 7.4 and tcl 7.5.

  >> TCL 7.5 is the default that is bundled with new slackware
  >> distributions --I just upgraded my laptop yesterday (from a
  >> linux system that was over 30 months old)

  >> The emacspeak speech server works fine under tcl 7.5 but the
  >> speech-server script that is used to enable remote emacspeak
  >> sessions connect to a local speech server will not work on tcl
  >> 7.5 due to the API changes.

  >> I'll hopefully get time to make it work under the new API
  >> --unless someone out there has already written it.

  >> -- Best Regards, --raman

  >>       Adobe Systems Tel: 1 (408) 536 3945 (W14-129) Advanced
  >> Technology Group Fax: 1 (408) 537 4042 (W14 129) 345 Park Avenue
  >> Email: raman@xxxxxxxxxxx San Jose , CA 95110 -2704 Email:
  >> raman@xxxxxxxxxxx http://labrador.corp.adobe.com/~raman/
  >> (Adobe Intranet) http://cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/raman.html
  >> (Cornell)
  >> Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are my own and in no way
  >> should be taken as representative of my employer, Adobe Systems
  >> Inc.

Brian L. Sellden - brian@xxxxxxxxxxx, brians@xxxxxxxxxxx
User of Emacspeak 7.0,  making Unix talk.
http://www.henge.com/~brian
	      What on earth would a man do with himself
		if something did not stand in his way?
		-- H.G. Wells