Emacspeak eterm and speech questions

Hi Jason,

> 1. When using eterm in "terminal line mode", if the "enter" key is
> pressed, the synthesizer spells out the commands which has just been
> entered at a slow speech rate, letter by letter. This is in addition to
> the echoing of keys which have been typed. This phenomenon is particularly
> evident when typing rapidly.

Make sure that your firmware is at least 4.2CD  Check this from
emacspeak with 'c-e d V' (note the caps).

> 2. The speech synthesizer announces the digit "0" when at the command
> prompt; I am not sure whether this is normal.

Sounds like you may still be in 'terminal-character-mode'.  You
normally want to change into 'terminal-line-mode' by typing
'c-x c-j'.  Also, if you're just interested in running shell
commands and such, try 'm-x shell' instead of 'm-x term'.

> 3. In one instance, extraneous numbers were read out immediately after
> speech had been interrupted.

This will happen occasionally.  The situation may improve after
you try the above.

> 4. Sometimes there is an error message issued immediately after the M-X,
> TERM command has been issued, but the speech is immediately interrupted by
> the prompt that asks for the name of the executable file to be executed
> (/bin/bash), and thus the complete error message is not announced.

You can read the error message by switching to the *Messages*
buffer.

Good luck,

Brian.
--