Octal characters

from the online help:
dtk-speak-nonprinting-chars's value is

Documentation:
*Non nil value means non printing characters  should be
spoken as their octal value.
Set this to t to avoid a dectalk bug that makes the speech box die if
it seems some accented characters in certain contexts.
Nolan Darilek writes:
 > This problem has occurred quite often lately, and I'm wondering if
 > there is something that I can do about it, since it is becoming a
 > serious annoyance.
 >
 > Whenever Emacspeak reads certain strings, most notably some with octal
 > characters, the Dectalk locks up completely and must be powered off,
 > turned back on and then reset. This would not normlly be a problem,
 > except for the fact that these octal characters surface quite often in
 > web pages. See http://www.nureality.com/index-main.html for an example
 > of this. Near the bottom of the page, the Dectalk completely freezes
 > up for me, and to get the content I am required to arrow, character by
 > character across the line. For some reason, the octal character can be
 > pronounced, but if both the character and ASCII are sent in the same
 > string to the Dectalk, the lockup occurs.
 >
 > My question is, is there some way that I can filter octal characters
 > from documents? I seem to remember several months backk when someone
 > pointed out that octal characters hold special significance to the
 > Dectalk internally, or something similar. Furthermore, is there some
 > other work-around that I may be missing? This appears to be a
 > hardware-specific problem, but I'd like to try and resolve it, if at
 > all possible, so that it does not re-occur.
 >
 > Thanks in advance for any assistance.

      Adobe Systems                 Tel: 1 (408) 536 3945   (W14-612)
      Advanced Technology Group     Fax: 1 (408) 537 4042
      (W14 129) 345 Park Avenue     Email: raman@xxxxxxxxxxx
      San Jose , CA 95110 -2704     Email:  raman@xxxxxxxxxxx
      http://labrador.corp.adobe.com/~raman/        (Adobe Intranet)
      http://cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/raman.html    (Cornell)