Speech-enabling applications

Out of curiousity, is there any information about speech-enabling
applications for Emacspeak? Or, if one application behaves like you
want another to behave, is it somehow possible to easily duplicate
that functionality to a new application?

I would like to speech-enable emacs' telnet mode. I've also just FTP'd
code for an Emacs-based MUD client that I'd like to try out. It
doesn't speak new text as it appears in the buffer, though scrolling
with the arrow keys seems to work quite nicely. If possible, I would
like to modify buffers of this type to speak all inbound text, as the
shell buffer does, for example.

Any assistance and pointers to information would be greatly
appreciated.