Re: Got it working.

On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, John Schucker wrote:

> 1.  How do I get term to read what comes up on the screen automatically,
> so if I type pwd, and I'm in /root, it'll say /root?
Either use shell mode instead, or enter terminal line mode with c-c, c-j.
In character mode, which is the eterm default, only the line containing
the cursor is read.

>   2.  How do I get term to stop echoing chars?  I've used ce-d k, but even
> though it says char echo is toggled off, if I type pwd, it still says pwd
> as I'm typing it.
It is actually reading the characters as they are sent to the screen
rather than echoing the keyboard, I think. I don't know how to deactivate
this feature, but it does not happen in shell mode. Thus, I would suggest
using shell mode for ordinary command line work, and switching to eterm
when you want to use a screen-oriented application that requires a genuine
terminal.

> 3.  How do I get to the info docs for emacspeak?  ch-i doesn't seem to get
> me anywhere useful, just the normal info docs.
In the list of available documents that appears when you enter the Info
system, there should be an entry for Emacspeak, which you would select in
order to read the documentation. If this entry has not been created, then
you can use the install-info command to add the Emacspeak manual to the
top-level Info directory. The command would be similar to: install-info
dir emacspeak.info, where dir is the name of an existing top-level info
directory file, and emacspeak.info (this might not be the correct file
name as I am not in front of my laptop computer right now) is the name of
the initial file that contains the table of contents for the Emacspeak
manual.

> 4.  Still wondering about the problem when I exit bash from term, it
> complains that "buffer has no process" and I can't really do anything
> after that.
Yes you can. You are still in term mode and the key bindings which are in
effect are those of Eterm. To kill the buffer, try c-c, k.

> Umm ... basically if anybody can give me a crash course in the most useful
> emacs commands, I'd be grateful.  Not really for editting, I'm planning on
> using term with bash for now, but buffer manipulation, windows, switching
> back to scratch or somewhere from help, getting around in help ... that
> kind of thing.  I've read the tutorial several times, and I think I've got
> that down, but quite frankly it's not terribly useful.

This is why there are on-line manuals for both Emacs and Emacspeak, which
you should read in order to become better acquainted with the software.>
The Emacspeak help file, accessed via c-h, c-e, is also a useful
reference.