Re: First install experience

Oof!

Tomas, Bart, thanks a lot for the mbrola driver. After a trying
day during which I learned a lot the hard way, I have
emacspeak up and running on Jacques's computer. As far as
Jacques is concerned, it compares favourably to what he's used
to under Windows. Of course, he doesn't have any experience of
working with emacs yet. Neither do I. At the moment it feels as if
I'm struggling through a soup of obscurity.

The driver works OK, but c-e c-s is necessary to revive it every now
and then. It also seems to lose a word now and then, and some words
are almost inaudible. "Appointment", for example. Compared to the
TEST/*.au files, the speech is a bit of a let-down, unsurprisingly.
Am I right that the mbrola driver doesn't support speech-speeds, or
different tones for caps etc?

I was very confused by having .tgz, .tar.gz, and .rpm versions of
packages around. I couldn't figure out which version was meant
to go with which. I'll be clearer in a later mail, my computer is
still at Jacques' place.

Newbie-type frustrations at the moment: c-h i to read info from
inside emacs just doesn't work, and neither does c-h F to read the
faq. "info emacs" and "info emacspeak" from the commandline work
fine. Are there perhaps some environment variables I'm not setting?
There aren't any auditory icons either, although I set the
environment variable referred to in the Makefile
(EMACSPEAK_PLAY_PROGRAM, I think, = na_play). I couldn't find splay
on my system. If I cat them to /dev/audio, the icons work fine. (Not
ring.au, though). (The fr2 database, also, is rejected by mbrola as
being too old).

more detail later, and thanks a lot again,