RE: Problems with emacspeak v 9.0

Hi listers,

I have installed emacspeak version 9.0 on my solaris system.  When I started
the tcl with dtk-exp loaded I got the startup message just fine.  However,
when I executed the command q { this is a test}; d

I heard most of the text spoken but then I got the error message "Error in
string value".  I seem to remember that this is usually an indication that I
do not have the latest firmware.  Unfortunately, since emacspeak isn't
owrking right now, I can't get my firmware version from that handy key
coard.  If memory serves, I believe that it is 42CD, but I'm not sure that
memory served me this time.  I'll check that on my emacspeak at home.  I did
notice that I got a loud squeel sometimes when caps lock mode was on and I
encoutered a lot of caps together.  Also I noticed that I heard space when I
cursored over an apostraphy sign and then I heard apostrophy spoken.  I have
changed machines at home, and I would appreciate the URL for downloading the
firmware for the dectalk, if that's the thing to do.

After I got the error message, things hung up.  The version of TCL here is
7.5, is that about right?

When I run the old dtk-exp script in the tcl that came with emacspeak ver 7,
All is well.  BTW, the characters are not echoed to the screen when I load
the dtk-exp script and the prompts are indented about a tab stop width to
the right.  The characters are echoed correctly in the tcl session with the
dtk-exp from ver 7, why is this?

Thanks.

Mo McCleary
GE Harris Railway Electronics, LLC