Emacspeak phrase breaks

The timing on this question  is uncanny.
I installed Festival earlier this week and just started up a
dialog with Alan Black on using it productively with
Emacspeak.
1) Festival is definitely the right way to go --as opposed
to mbrola --MBROLA's reliance on the buggy freephone as well
as its closed source does not make it an acceptable
solution.

2) The Festival API does not currently provide a clean API
   for stopping speech and finding out where the speech
   stopped-- this is one of the things I  put in my wish
   list to Alan.

Returning to Brian's specific question about chunking:

Emacspeak's chunking algorithm is fairly complex --you do it
a disservice in speculating that it merely breaks things on
commas. It is also not Dectalk specific in anyway, and as
everything else in Emacs is completely customizable.  Look
in the source code --module dtk-tcl.el --and see how
dtk-chunk-separator-syntax is used-- basically, speech is
broken up into chunks where each chunk is a "clause" --the
meaning of what a "clause" is is mode-specific.  So for
instance, in programming modes, a clause is a line of code--
but not in English text.

Festival does have a chunking algorithm of its own --but
that is English prose specific and the output when you hand
it programming source, HTML or LaTeX markup etc is more than
suboptimal.