Linux, Auditory Icons, es1370 sound card

Thought I should point out a possible problem some users may have with
using auditory icons under linux with an es1370 sound card. This card
does not support sound files in *.au format. This means you cannot
play *.au files by cating them to /dev/audio, which is what the
emacspeak play program does. This means the auditory icons won't work
if you are running a sound card which uses the es1370 driver.

The solution is to use the sox utility to convert the files to ossdsp
format. I have modified the emacspeak play program to use the sox
utility which can do the conversion. I've included the modified script
at the end of this file. Please note that any problems, mistakes,
criticisms, flames etc for this modified version of the script should
be sent to me and not Raman as I'm responsible for the modifications.

I'm running RedHat 5.2 and have the sox.12.14-2 rpm installed. You
need sox installed to run the modified script.

Tim

#!/bin/sh
#$Id: play.def,v 10.0 1999/04/30 17:36:56 raman Exp $