Installation question

I have installed linux on a PC,
including emacs20.3.  I have then installed emacspeak10.0
successfully.
That is, root gets speech.
However, a second user that I have added does not get speech.
I have given that new user the same .profile and .emacs files
as root.
These files are simple;  they set the dtk-program to dtk-exp
and the port to the correct serial port.
They both then call /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/eamcspeak-setup.el.

The permissions on that file,
and all the emacspeak10.0 directory seem to be correct, i.e., rw-r-r.
The only thing I can imagine is that there is some
"group" problem with my new user.
I don't know anything about changing a user's group designation,
so I hope it's not that.
Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

Larry