question aboutdtk-character-to-speech-table in dtk-speak.el

In the dtk-character-to-speech-tablevariable in dtk-speak.el, several
of the strings to be spoken include an asterisk enclosed in brackets.
Why are there present?  Are they special to the DECtalk or the DECtalk
Express speech server?  They're actually spoken by the DoubleTalk, for
example when I type a question mark and then backspace.  This isn't
that important, but I would like to know why these characters are
present.

Thanks,
Matt

--