terminal echo problem

I assume this is using  the emacspeak 7.0 vintage solution
of using rsh/ssh to run the server rmeotely.
I suspect that the newer speech-server which is what I now
use may not work over ssh --though I might well be wrong.

WWW: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/
PGP:    http://cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/raman.asc