problems starting remote speech server

Ok, I'm doing something dumb here I'm sure ...
I've been running the rsh method for getting remote emacs to talk
quite successfully. But, as foreshadowed in the documentation, I've
now had a firewall installed between me and the target machines, at
least when dialing in to work from home.  So it's time to move to the
newer open-network-stream method.
I don't think it's relevant here but my preferred method of doing all
this is to log in to the target machine *outside* emacs, i.e with no
speech, then launch emacspeak pointing speech back to the
desktop.  This works with the rsh method provided the right
environment variables are set.
Ok, for the open-network-stream approach I'm doing
 cd /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers
tcl speech-server 2222 $cwd/outlout &
whereupon I get the "starting speech server, waiting for connection
..."
message. So far so good.
Now on my next virtual console I've logged into the target and launch
emacspeak with the rsh method (this is experimenting from inside the
firewall so I can do this).  It works fine.
Then, on the target, I try
emacspeak-remote-connect-to-server
desktop-machine
2222
It replies with
connecting to server on desktop-machine, port 2222
all fine and good.
Meanwhile, back on desktop-machine we have
[1]    Segmentation fault            tcl speech-server 2222 /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers/outloud
Hmm, not so good.  And my tcp-wrapper log reports that a new rsh has
been opened.

To try to shed some light on this I started the speech-server on
desktop-machine the same way but then, in an rlogin window on
target-machine tried
telnet desktop-machine 2222
which produced the output
(usual connection messages for telnet)
dev: couldn't open device /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
dev: couldn't open device /dev/dsp1: Device or resource busy
dev: couldn't open device /dev/dsp2: No such file or directory
couldn't open any sound device
Connection closed by foreign host.

and the same segmentation fault message back on desktop-machine.
Among other curious questions is why the outloud speech server is trying
to open the  sound devices when launched from the speech-server tcl
script but not from the rsh command.  As usual with this kind of
apparently subtle problem, I'm probably overlooking something *really*
basic.
btw:  this is happening with emacspeak-12.0 running under emacs 20.4.1
on RH6.2.  target-machine is running emacspeak-12.0 under emacs 20.3.3
on irix 6.5.

Once someone has pointed out my oversight, I've got one more
question.  I'd like to launch emacspeak straight into this remote
connection method  the same way I am with the rsh method.  At the
moment I have things set up to run emacspeak-setup before my .emacs
file, so I get immediate feedback on things like the diary.  Is there
something  I can set to tell emacspeak not to bother with local
speech-servers and just execute emacspeak-remote-connect-to-server
Raman, if this doesn't exist and you think it would be useful, I'm
willing to try to hack it in.
Phew, quite a long message, apologies.