ViaVoice - working great

With the recent posts regarding ViaVoice and because of a couple of
questions lately regarding the version etc, I thought I'd just report
some great results I've been getting from using it lately.

I tried out ViaVoice Outloud when Raman released the server for the
system. At the time, I was very impressed with the quality of the
speech, but was frustrated by the server continually dying. Last week
I checked the IBM homepage for ViaVoice and found there was a new
version. The url has changed from that listed in the NOTES file in the
linux_outloud subdirectory of the servers directory to
http://www-4.ibm.com/software/speech/dev/index.html. There has also
been a change in package names. You now need to download the
viavoice_tts_rtk_5.tar file (doesn't seem to be any reference to
"outloud" anymore, instead referring to the package as viavoice
tts. If you have already installed the old viavoice_outloud rpm, its
probably a good idea to uninstall it with rpm -e before installing the
new rpm.

Anyway, I've found the new version runs really well. In the last week
of use, I have only had to re-start the server once. In fact, its been
working so well, I've unplugged my DecTalk Express. However, one thing
I'm not 100% certain about is if the improved performace is soley a
result of the new version or if its due to my improved system. I
recently upgraded my memory from 128Mb to 256Mb and this might have
something to do with the better performance/reliability. I can't wait
to find the time to see if I can get it working on my Dell laptop. If
I'm successful, it will make life a lot easier as there will be one
less piece of hardware I have to carry around! All in all, the
combination of emacspeak and ViaVoice provides a very workable
system. Thanks Raman.

Tim Cross
NorthNet Internet Services
mailto: tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx
phone: +61 2 6772 5973
mobile: 0412 969193
The contents of this email and its attachments are confidential and may be
subject to legal professional privilege and copyright.  It is intended
solely for the addressee.  Access to this email and its attachment by anyone
else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended addressee, any disclosure,
usage, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in
reliance on it, is prohibited.  If you have received this communication in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply email and delete this
message from your computer.

No representation is made that this email or any attachment is free of
viruses or other defects. Virus scanning is recommended and is the
responsibility of the recipient.