What was the concept behind read-deleted-char while deleting?

Hi, Raman!
Perhaps I don't understand something, but I cannot get the concept that
Emacspeak reads deleted character instead of the next character to delete when
pressing the DELETE key or CTRL+D. Why would I want to know the character
that's already been deleted? I need to know the next character to be deleted
if I hit DELETE key.
Just wondering!
Vic