emacspeak and OSS soft mixer

Greg --
I haven't used the mixer but if you do find it works it
would be useful.
Let me know where one buys it and what it costs.

Also, for your specific question about taking notes as you
listen,
Try the following:

Switch to a buffer where you want to write the notes, and
turn off speech in that buffer.
Then launch emacspeak reading  the buffer containing the
book you are reading
something like
(defun emacspeak-read-this-buffer (buffer)
(save-excursion
(set-buffer buffer)
(emacspeak-speak-buffer )))
--will do it
--note the above is code that is untried and untested --I
just typed it into the mail message.

WWW: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/
PGP:    http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/raman.asc