midi icons while synth is off?

Hi Folks,

Is it possible to turn of speech (as with "C-e d q") and still keep
audio icons?

I am trying to find a way to join the move to RealAudio and mp3 music
without loosing the appointment reminders that I have come to depend
on.

Needless to say, if there is a way to keep or separately enable the
audio icons I still have to figure out how to add them to the
appointment function.  But first I need to separate them from speech.

Having midi icons on the appointments would also mean that if ViaVoice
went down you would still get your reminder (or at lest know to
restart speech and check for one).

Any leads gratefully accepted - I will hit the source code shortly...

Greg

--
 Greg Priest-Dorman
 priestdo@xxxxxxxxxxx