Re: Newbie - emacspeak and internal Apollo card

John -

My emacspeak-ss package includes a server for some Apollo devices, but
not the internal one.  The README file is attached.

	- Jim Van Zandt

The apollo server is designed to support the following Dolphin series
2 speech synthesizers: Apollo 2, JUNO, and JUNO-sp.  The synthesizer
must be connected to a serial port, and be set for 9600 n 8 1 (the
factory default).  If you have the usual 9 pin male connector on your
serial port, you need a cable with a 9 pin female connector on each
end,
wired straight through.  (That is: 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, 5-5, 6-6, 7-7
and
8-8.  Pin 9 need not be connected.)

The Apollo server exhibits a quirk which I do not understand, but
which does not appear to affect normal use.  The symptom is that when
run under strace (using the "testit" script, for example), the server
fails on alternate executions: fail - succeed - fail - succeed.  This
led me in a merry chase during debugging.  If you do have cause to
send me a debugging log, please make it one from a "success".  The
failures are pretty obvious - no speech at all.

Remember that the speech rate you give after the C-e d r command is
the desired speed in words per minute.  250 is a good place to start.
I have not yet tuned the speech rate calculation, so the actual rate
may vary somewhat from what you request.