Sound car question

Excuse me if this is not an emacspeak question.
But I can't seem to get any help from anyone else.
I want to run realaudio.  However, my problem is
much more basic than that.
I can't get my sound card to respond, even for auditory icons.
I imagine this has to do with the fact that I
have both windows98 and linux on my PC.
The sound card works fine under windows, but I get
messages like "resource busy"
when I try to load a sound module under linux.
The HOWTO suggests finding out what IO address and
irq windows is using for the card,
and then loading the module with those parameters.
But I don't know how to find out this info.
Anybody know how to circumvent Mr. Gates on this one?
Thanks.

Larry Baggett