Sychronising with the speech server.

what you tried wont work because moment you have emacs do
something else it will send a stop command to the speech
server.

The robust solution for what you want to do is to:
0 simplistic solution outside emacspeak  --use the
cmdlinespeakfile sample.
 Sophisticated solution using emacspeak
1) Add commands to the outloud speech server to
a) set up output to a file
b) switch between the various available outputs
c) add code to emacspeak to access these server functions

The advantage of doing this is that you will get emacspeak's
parsing and dictionary functionalities --down the pipe you
could add code to emacspeak to
have it send out sync marks to the audio stream that could
be used later to browse the mp3 stream.

WWW: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/
PGP:    http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/raman.asc