[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Dependent libraries from IBM Viavoice in Emacspeak's RPM



apologies if my message came across as brusque.  There is
very little one can do in the presence of so many variations
the binary rpm depending on libibmeci.so appears to be a
"feature" of the newer rpm that I'd gladly undo if I knew
how.

The answer therefore is not to build multiple versions of
the rpm --the answer is to ensure that the emacspeak binary
rpm doesn't end up thinking it depends on libibmeci.so
--however there is some black magic in rpm that 
causes it to add that dependency and I dont have the time to
go chase it down.


If you are concerned about this problem I suggest you fool
around with rpm and find out how the dependency gets added
and how it can be avoided --
From: "Victor Tsaran" <vtsaran@nimbus.ocis.temple.edu>
To: <raman@CS.Cornell.EDU>
Subject: Re: Dependent libraries from IBM Viavoice in Emacspeak's RPM
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:42:12 +0100

No, T.V., again you're wrong in your assumptions. I installed with no
problems, but I was worrying about others who could stumble over this
easily. No packing around!!!
Warmest,
Victor

******* ******* *******
have you thought of visiting Cybertsar's Internet Kingdom? It is still
alive!
Here is the URL:
http://kickme.to/vtsaran

******* ******* *******
----- Original Message -----
From: "T. V. Raman" <raman@cs.cornell.edu>
To: "Victor Tsaran" <vtsaran@nimbus.ocis.temple.edu>
Cc: <emacspeak@cs.vassar.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2001 2:31 AM
Subject: Dependent libraries from IBM Viavoice in Emacspeak's RPM


> who said the rpm depends on the viavoice library?
> It's a symptom of rpm that it snapshots the system where it
> is built --
> read the RPM man page and do a rpm --nodeps to install the
> package.
> Or if you're too lazy to do that pick up the source rpm --or
> the source tarball and install that.
> There are better things to do than going around packing up
> things for free-loaders who are too lazy to do things for
> themselves --this goes not just to this specific poster but
> to others on this list as well.
> >>>>> "Victor" == Victor Tsaran <vtsaran@nimbus.ocis.temple.edu> writes:
>
>     Victor> Hi, Raman and others!  I wanted to ask what was
>     Victor> the reason for making Emacspeak's RPM be
>     Victor> dependent on IBM Viavoice's RTK library? What if
>     Victor> I don't plan on using IBM Viavoice?  It just
>     Victor> makes life so much more complicated when trying
>     Victor> to install Emacspeak. Would it be possible to
>     Victor> distribute that library with Emacspeak? I would
>     Victor> imagine that the answer would be "no" because of
>     Victor> the license restrictions.  Best, Victor
>
>     Victor> ******* ******* ******* have you thought of
>     Victor> visiting Cybertsar's Internet Kingdom? It is
>     Victor> still alive!  Here is the URL:
>     Victor> http://kickme.to/vtsaran
>
>     Victor> ******* ******* *******
>
>




Victor> --------------------------------------------------------------------
---------
>     Victor> To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change
>     Victor> your address on the emacspeak list send mail to
>     Victor> "emacspeak-request@cs.vassar.edu" with a subject
>     Victor> of "unsubscribe" or "help"
>
> --
> Best Regards,
> --raman
>
>
> Email:  raman@cs.cornell.edu
> WWW: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/
> PGP:    http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/raman.asc

-- 
Best Regards,
--raman

      
Email:  raman@cs.cornell.edu
WWW: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/             
PGP:    http://www.cs.cornell.edu/home/raman/raman.asc 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from the emacspeak list or change your address on the
emacspeak list send mail to "emacspeak-request@cs.vassar.edu" with a
subject of "unsubscribe" or "help"


Emacspeak Files | Subscribe | Unsubscribe | Search