how do I set my terminal type?

Q. How do I set my terminal type in emacspeak so I can run full-screen
commands?

I tryed using default vt100 but it didn't work when I ran "pine" and
"lynx". You see, I executed the emacspeak-root command (C-e C-r). It asked
me for my password even though I was already logged on to my user account.
Why does it give me a sorry message when I execute the root command from
my user account but it lets me run things anyway.

Billy G