backing out of emacs menus

Q. How do you back out of the emacs menus?

When I key f10 or esc grave-accent, I get the menu system. That's as
it should be. But, say, if I pick the files menu from the VM mailer and
decide I want the options menu instead, how do I back up out of the files
submenu to the previous menu level so I can select the options menu?

What is the difference between a buffer and a minibuffer?

When I am in, say, the folders submenu, and want to back up to the
previous menu I hit PGUP and got a minibuffer. and this message (Press
PageUp Key to reach this buffer from the minibuffer.) What does this mean?
How do I back out of a submenu to its previous menu-level?

Thanks.

Bill Gaughan