help request

Hi...
I'm a newbie trying to setup emacspeak with viavoice on my Dell PII system
using Redhat 6.1.

The readme file for viavoice said to run sndconfig to test the sound card.
It tested fine on the spoken and midi, but when the program ended, I got an
error:

Uart 401: failed to allocate irq 5

I looked at /proc/interrupts and saw the sound card listed for irq 5. I've
tried sndconfig twice since, and it removed the sound card from irq5 and
then relisted it for irq5 again. But I still  don't have sound working.

If I run sndconf, I get the error:

Init: device or resource busy
sound: device or resource busy

What do I need to do?