Re: error with emacspeak 14.0 under rh7.1

With rpm based systems, if the rpm won't install because of missing
dependencies, it should report a list of dependencies which need to be
satisfied before you can install.

While it is true the rpm version expects the ViaVoice rpms to be
installed before it will allow you to install emacspeak, you can avoid
this. If you don't want to use ViaVoice, you can install the emacspeak
rpm using the --nodeps switch i.e.

rpm --nodeps -i emacspeak-14.0-1.noarch.rpm

Also note, you can safely install the viavoice without the lesstif
libraries by using the --nodeps switch as well. The ViaVoice rpm only
needs the lesstif libraries if you want to run the gui based
demonstration. You don't need this as there is a command line
demonstration available which you can use to test viaVoice and
viaVoice will run fine without the lesstif libraries when you want to
use it with emacspeak.

I think its always a good idea to try installing an rpm without the
nodeps switch first and if it fails look at the dependencies which
failed and then make a decision on how important those dependencies
are. I know this can be difficult if you don't know much about linux
or emacspeak. However, its better to do it this way rather than just
using the nodeps switch without first checking as there may be other
dependencies (like tclx etc) which you must have.
Tim
Janina Sajka writes:
> Something on which Emacspeak is dependent is missing. Have you installed
> ViaVoice? The rpm installation doesn't like it if you haven't, as I
> recall. And, to install that, you'll need to install the lesstif
> libraries, etc.
>  On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 awesome-dave1@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > 	Has anyone got emacspeak 14.0 working under rh7.1? I'm getting the
> > error:
> > error: emacspeak-14.0-1.noarch.rpm can not be installed.
> > 	I've got tcl, tk, and tclx, and lesstif installed as I've done in the
> > past for 12, but I've never seen this error before.
> > 	Any ideas?
> > Thanks.
> > Dave.
> >
> > Visit my web site at:
> > http://www.davemehler.com

Tim Cross
NorthNet Internet Services
mailto: tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx
phone: +61 2 6772 5973
mobile: 0412 969193
The contents of this email and its attachments are confidential and may be
subject to legal professional privilege and copyright.  It is intended
solely for the addressee.  Access to this email and its attachment by anyone
else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended addressee, any disclosure,
usage, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in
reliance on it, is prohibited.  If you have received this communication in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply email and delete this
message from your computer.

No representation is made that this email or any attachment is free of
viruses or other defects. Virus scanning is recommended and is the
responsibility of the recipient.