Re: Patch: Allow Emacspeak to work with 8-bit characters

On Mon, 25 Jun 2001  "T. V. Raman" <raman@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> this patch does not solve the underlying reason why
> emacspeak goes through the trouble of making sure the user
> doesn't run emacs in multibyte mode.
>
> 1) TTS engines barf on multibyte input  at present.
> 2) There are portions of emacspeak s own
> internals (modules emacspeak-speak.el, dtk-speak.el and
> dtk-tcl.el)
> that have unibyte dependencies
>
> Without the above being fixed --(and I dont plan to spend
> energy fixing 2 while there is no solution to 1)--
> there is no point in allowing the average user to run emacspeak
> under multibyte emacs.

What is exactly the problem no 1?

Multibyte/unibyte distinction concerns *only* how the text in *a*
buffer is represented *internally*. (I say *a buffer* because this
feature can be set differently for different buffers in a single Emacs
run).

How the text is represented *outside* its buffer is decided by coding systems.
`Apropos' shows, among others,

coding-system-for-read
  Variable: Specify the coding system for read operations.
coding-system-for-write
  Variable: Specify the coding system for write operations.
default-keyboard-coding-system
  Variable: Default value of the keyboard coding system.
default-process-coding-system
  Variable: Cons of coding systems used for process I/O by default.
default-sendmail-coding-system
  Variable: Default coding system for encoding the outgoing mail.
default-terminal-coding-system
  Variable: Default value for the terminal coding system.
locale-coding-system
  Variable: Coding system to use with system messages.
selection-coding-system
  Variable: Coding system for communicating with other X clients.

All these variables can be set independently to appropriate values.

To give you a specific example, I write this letter in a default
(i.e. multibyte) invocation of Emacs in a multibyte buffer with the
default coding system set to iso-8859-2. However, it will be send, I
hope :-), as pure ASCII.

It is obvious that non-Oriental TTS engines should not be given
ISO-2022 based multibyte input, but this form of input is also
unsuitable e.g. for LaTeX. AUC TeX can be used in multibyte mode with
no problem (although some cosmetic adjustments are recommended), so
why Emacspeak is different? Could you please elaborate?

Best regards

Janusz

--
                     ,