Zenirc

Sorry for the slow response: was off galavanting the last few days.

I've never really found the  buffer-per-channel scheme any easier. I
used IRCII on a shell account for years to get on IRC, and old habits
die hard. I think Zenirc lends itself much better to customising, for
speech or anything else.

I think Garry's right in supposing that the package is no longer
actively maintained, however.

Cheers,
Ben