Re: zenirc

Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

[...]

> I tried ERC and found it too limiting; at the time, I was working for
> a client who's developers lived on irc.openprojects.org.  Various
> features such as auto-name completions and abbreviations were the
> features that sold me on zenirc.
The current erc.el can do Nickname completion,
as well as filling, better key bindings, interactive keybindings
for Join, part, topic and so on, as well as a a bunch
of other things. see http://sf.net/projects/erc/ for
the new location. The original maintainer/contributors gave up on
doing real work and handed the project over to Alex@xxxxxxxxxxx and myself.

If there are any erc features you really missed, please report them and
ill try my best on it.

[...]

> The only other essential missing feature, DCC, may not be possible
> from elisp;

It is, but only with the help fo an external utility.
irchat does it via a specially written external perl script,
and another way to do it were using nc (netcat) via the
start-process.

> more than once people have asked me to dcc vital bits of code, and
> I've had to apologize and offer to email it instead. I've also been
> unable to trigger opening a private chat; I've use this in other IRC
> clients, and it could simply be a wrapper around /msg statements,
> but in zenirc, it appears to be a manual thing.
Normal /query things work in ERC quite fine. The other
private chat you could mean is /DCC chat, which basicly
is a dcc thing for chat instead of file transfer. Those obviously
weren't work until dcc got impelmented.

--
CYa,
   Mario <mlang@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds."
(Linus Torvalds about the superiority of Linux on the Amsterdam
Linux Symposium)