Re: Viavoice Outloud?

ViaVoice Outloud was the original name IBM used - I think they have
dropped the Outloud and now just call it ViaVoice. Note that I think
you need both the text-to-speech runtime and the text-to-speech
software development kit - I found I needed to install the sdk to get
the header files needed to compile the server. Also note that you
don't need to install motif/lesstif to run the system. The ViaVoice
rpms will not install without lesstif unless you use the --nodep
switch for rpm. The lesstiff libraries are only needed to run the GUI
based demonstration/test utility which is really only a wrapper around
some command line utilities, so you can safely use the nodep switch
and then just use the cmdline version of the test/demo
programs. However, its probably best to first run without the nodeps
switch so that you get a list of failed dependencies and if lesstif is
the only missing dependency, then use the nodep switch.

Rodney Clowdus writes:
> I'm in the process of installing emacspeak.  The installation instruction
> informed me to download viavoice outloud from the ibm website.  I went to
> the website and viavoice was everywhere but nowhere I could find viavoice
> outloud.  I've searched the web and have come up empty handed.  Is there
> something amiss here?  I'm ready to try out my new Soundblaster Live sound
> card using emacspeak.  I cannot afford to buy an external voice
> synthesizer and a software synthesizer sure would be nice.  Thanks in
> advance.
> Rodney
>
> The Weaving Beaver
> rclowdus@xxxxxxxxxxx
> "Chop your own firewood and it will warm you twice."
> "Weave your own cloth and it will reward you twice."

Tim Cross
mailto: tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx
phone: +61 2 6772 5973
mobile: 0412 969193