Re: ViaVoice ECI and CD recording

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Jerry Sievers wrote:

> Hello.  I wonder if anyone is using the ViaVoice library to make
> output files of the synthesized text and then burning CD disks for
> later reading with an ordinary audio CD player.

Yes - I played around with this quite a bit a few months back - I
did get something working reasonably well, but the details are a bit
hazy for me now...

[...]
> I see that in the cdrecord manpage it says the audio files should be
> 16 bit stereo with 44400 khz sample rate.  This is not what I'm
> getting from ViaVoice.  It gives me 8 bit mono at 11100 khz.  If
> there's a way to influence the output file format with ViaVoice, I've
> not learned of it yet.

There is something buried deep in the ViaVoice docs about
changing this in some respects ... but I think I just used sox
anyway:

  sox name.au name.cdr

> Ran sox to change the format of these files with partial
> success.

What is "partial" success?

> went ahead and burned a couple CDs expecting to hear at least some
> noise from the playing.  All that happens however, is that my CD
> player makes a brief sound of like the laser looking for something on
> the disk and the CD actually never spins up.

I had this problem when I was trying to do an mp3 format CD (the
player was quite limited in what mp3 parameters it could handle)
- but I guess you were only trying to do plain audio?

In that case the problem may be with the vintage of the player?
Old players (c 3 years+) will have problems with CD-R and (even
more so) with CD-RW media. I have several players of that sort.
Were you able to play on the drive on which you did the recording
(obviously, *it* should be compatible...).

> Command for burning that I tried is:
>
> cdrecord -pad test.au

Hmmm ... doesn't sound right (excuse the pun!).  CD format data
files would more typically have a .cdr extension - see my sox
command above...

I just used:

  cdrecord -v blank=fast

to first blank, and then:

  cdrecord -v -audio *.cdr

I have a bundle of scripts and stuff that you are welcome to if
you want to play with them - no docs, do warranties, but you're
welcome to them.  Includes a little script to chop a long .wav
into shorter fixed time segments so that the CD can be more
conveniently navigated by track...

Cheers,

- Barry.