Re: New Java-based software speech synthesizer available

This is very interesting. As it is an open source software synth, it
may be a good replacement for ViaVoice. I like ViaVoice very much, but
because we have to rely on a binary only distribution and as it seems
new versions are not being released, I fear it may get difficult to
support over time. For example, when I wanted to get viavoice running
on a debian system recently, I had to install extra C++ libraries
which were not part of the standard install because the ones
originally installed were a later version and Via Voice needed the
earlier version.

Of course, the problem with the Java based TTS under linux is
identifying the best JVM to use. Its been a while since I have done
any java, but the last time I looked, you had JVMs from Java,
Blackdown and IBM as well as some open source interpreters etc. This
may make things a bit confusing for the novice user. However, it would
be great if I could use emacspeak on my windows machine at work.

It looks like I may have found an interesting project to tackle when I
take my holidays in March!

Tim
Jason White writes:
> The following announcement appeared on the java-access mailing list. I
> am forwarding it to the Emacspeak list because, on the FreeTTS web
> site at Sourceforge, the authors mention an Emacspeak demo (there
> appears to be an Emacspeak speech server available). I haven't
> downloaded any of the software yet, so these remarks are based purely
> on the web page.

Tim Cross
mailto: tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx
phone: +61 2 6772 5973