Re: New Java-based software speech synthesizer available

I have no problems what so ever in paying a *reasonable* amount for a
software synthesizer. In fact, I believe the only way open source will
survive in any real sense is if users accept the need to pay an
acceptable amount for the development. The main issue I was talking
about was the need for the software to be open source so that we don't
get locked into using a binary distribution which requires shared
libraries which become outdated in time or one which is only available
in a specific package format which requires conversion to an
alternative package type (especially when the conversion is not always
100% accurate).

I totally agree that open source does not equal free software and I do
believe that those that develop packages are entitled to some
renumeration for their time, effort and expenses. What I don't agree
with is monolithic bullies like microsoft who charge way too much for
their software, especially as most of this software in my view is
flakey, overpriced and outdated with respect to current technology.

Tim

--
Tim Cross
mailto: tcross@xxxxxxxxxxx