Incomplete Sentences

I've install Emacs 15.0 and I am running the ViaVoice server. I can't get emacspeak to speak more than a few words in a sentence before slowing to an incoherent crawl. For example, in the sentence: "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog", it speaks just the first three words normally and then I can hear only brief snippets of each remaining word as it continues very slowly through the rest of the line. This sounds like a buffer size problem. Is there a way to increase the size of the buffers? Or is there another way to fix this?

Regards, Patrick Gordon