Re: emacspeak / outloud - not talking

aren't you getting an error message of some kind?

have a look in the messages or compile log buffers once emacs starts.

try running the outloud server by hand.  it should emit some startup
jingles, or in your case some diagnostics.

insure that the user trying to run emacspeak has rights on the sound
device /dev/dsp.  lots of people get stuck here as they'll do the
ViaVoice install as root but run emacspeak as a non priveledged user
on a box without fixing the perms on dsp.

the outloud server should be;

/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacspeak/servers/outloud

of course, after fixing /etc/profile or whatever you logged out and
back in, i hope.  you can also say;

emacspeak -o

that's dash o, to force using outloud regardless of what DTK_PROGRAM
says initially.

good luck.