dismal question resolved

You'll find that almost all emacs commands that need input are like
this. Type the command, hit enter, and have it ask you for input.

as for lynx vs w3, well to be honest, I use w3, but that's mostly
because trying to use lynx in a terminal buffer in emacspeak is very,
very annoying.

w3's probably about the most user friendly browser I've ever used,
except for the very simple fact that it's a total dog, speedwise. I'm
trying to learn enough elisp so I can try and get w3m.el to be even half
user friendly enough to use, for those pages that literally take 5
minutes or more just to draw.